- Combination of the Cognitive Stages (Piaget) and the Affective Stages (Erikson) into unified form.
- Extension of the five Piagetian stages into eight -- the three new ones being: creativity, psychedelia, and illumination
- Periodicity of three in figure, which results in similarities between 1, 4, 7, etc.
- Reinforcement of concept of discontinuity, succession emergence, differentiation and integration as components of escalation.
- Significance of dysplasia (malformation in development) as splitting of cognitive and affective stage levels in malfunctioning individuals.
- Emphasis on self-actualization as escalation into higher developmental stages.
In our class, we were asked to work on translating The Ekrikson-Piaget-Gowan periodic developmental stage chart into something simpler and creative. I, along with my Team EDGE groupmates JP and Jam, used drawings and cut-outs to do our chart.
|That's JP, me, and Jam working on the simpler developmental stage chart.|
We used 3 different colored papers to represent each affectional mode: latency, identity, and creativity. In each paper, we included the Child, Youth, and Adult Stages for each affectional mode.
|The Individual and the World|
|The Individual and Others (Sorry, the picture is not clear!)|
|The Individual and the Self|
We originally planned to string it together, but we weren't able to due to time constraints.
|Team EDGE with our simplified Developmental Stage Theory Table!|
In doing this, I wonder what stage I am presently in. I believe I am in the Industry vs. Inferiority stage. I am 19 years old and I am still wondering what I can do for the benefit of those around me. I already know who I am and what I want. I now have to determine my goals depending on who I am and what I want. Intimacy vs. Isolation? I think I am content as of now with regards to my relationships with people. Still, I will not let this theory box me as a person. I am basing my life not on theories but on the will of God. He has greater plans for me than these stages. Also, God's plan was in detail. I'd rather trust in Him to be a better and God-glorifying person. My God is not a theory, because He has proven Himself to me time and time again. :D